|Age|| 20 (physically, to Steve)|
22 (physically, to Vincent)
|Hair|| Blonde (to Vincent)|
Black (to Steve and Orlando)
|Eyes|| Blue (to Vincent)|
Red (as non-human)
|Height||167cm (to Vincent)|
Video game developer at Fowles Electronics
|Time At Bar|| Day 2: 22:10-end of night|
Day 3: 22:30-end of night
Day 6: 22:40-end of night
|ENG VA||Laura Bailey|
|JPN VA|| Miyuki Sawashiro|
Full Body DLC:
- "Marriage is just a 'tradition', right? Seriously, who wants to be tied down? As long as two people are together, it's okay, right? It's best to be free, don't you think?"
- — Catherine questioning marriage to Vincent
Catherine is carefree and enigmatic. She falls in love with Vincent Brooks at the Stray Sheep. She works as a video game developer at a technology company called Fowles Electronics, and has worked on a "peeping tom dating sim" video game.
Her seductiveness is more than just an act. In actuality, it turns out Catherine is a demonic succubus from the underworld. In her free time, she seduces men and then kills them by dooming them to their nightmares. It is unknown if she is a rapist or a consensual succubus. Although many would call her "evil", her mission is to help clear the world and human gene pool of unfaithful cheating men. Those who succumb to her beauty die from a curse known as the "Woman's Wrath".
As the mental image of Vincent's ideal woman, Catherine appears as a young Caucasian (white) woman, as mentioned by Vincent (it can be difficult to tell because one may misinterpret the game being set in Japan, in addition to many anime characters having blonde hair and blue eyes.) She has blonde hair in swirling ringlet pigtails, a potential reference to the ram horns in the game. She wears blue eyeshadow, possibly pink lipstick, and pink nail polish.
She wears a white corset-like shirt, a white miniskirt, white stockings and white shoes. Her outfit resembles lingerie. Her lacy bra is visible and has heart designs which match her lacy heart necklace. Around her waist is a red ribbon tied into a bow which is likely a reference to the traditional obi, a sash worn on kimono outfits, as well as the merging of American and Japanese aesthetics in the game.
While at Vincent's apartment, she sometimes wears a t-shirt with four hearts, with 1.5 of the 4 filled and "empty" underneath. This shirt seems to be a parody of Zelda. It is unclear if this shirt is Catherine's or Vincent's.
Catherine is generally upbeat, cheerful, eccentric and bubbly. Catherine's initial physical appearance and personality are meant to mirror what Vincent is searching for: a free soul. Freedom defines her entire attitude and feelings towards life: she's impulsive and resists commitment. This is demonstrated by the fact that she works with Dumuzid to corral men into the Nightmares "on a whim". Despite being a succubus, Catherine isn't entirely cold-hearted — in the novelization, she tells Jonny that she feels bad that he will probably begin having "nightmares". It is also difficult to label her as "evil" or "malevolent".
Catherine spends more time with Vincent as their relationship develops, neglecting her duties as a succubus. It's unclear if Catherine has a true interest in and feelings for Vincent, but given that she allows herself to be with him in certain endings and is upset when he attempts to leave her, it seems that a part of Catherine truly does love Vincent. Her true personality is evident in the Catherine True Ending and Catherine Good Ending, where her attraction to a chaotic Vincent is clear. During the Catherine Bad Ending, she shows nowhere near as much interest in him. This shows that, despite her base attraction to Vincent, Catherine seeks excitement above all else. However, she still admits that she was actually a bit into her relationship with Vincent herself, and that it wasn't simply all role-playing.
Catherine's personality is almost the polar opposite of Katherine McBride's. While Katherine has a Type A personality, Catherine has a Type B personality. While Katherine is a workaholic, Catherine hates working and always asks Vincent when he's done with his job, viewing jobs as another thing that chains people down. However, as revealed in a text, she views jobs and work as a necessary important evil to maintain a functioning society, she simply hates overworking and enjoys relaxing and destressing. She is very uplifting, approving and supportive of Vincent and tells him he's fine just the way he is — a contrast to Katherine's berating, criticizing, scrutinizing and nagging attitude towards Vincent. Unlike Katherine, Catherine doesn't seem to mind Vincent's drinking and smoking habits. Catherine is more affectionate with Vincent, in contrast to Katherine. Catherine is more playful, unpredictable, mischievous, wild and naughty, a contrast to Katherine's serious attitude. While Katherine pushes marriage, Catherine thinks marriage is overrated and doesn't see it as more than a man-made tradition instead of something god-given. Katherine dresses conservatively in black while Catherine dresses liberally in white.
Catherine can be perceived as an emotionally, sexually, physically abusive, and manipulative girlfriend. Catherine is prone to having rapid swings of emotions — she's revealed to be rather emotional, experiencing rage one moment and joy the next. When Vincent breaks up with her on Day 7, her initial reaction is one of desperation; that, as long as she is #1 in his life, he may have another woman, even a child, in his life. Though this can be seen as a last play at manipulation, her reaction appears genuine. It quickly shifts to abuse and violence when Vincent follows her into the Stray Sheep's bathroom and he is physically assaulted, beaten, punched, and screamed at by her. Catherine warns him of the dangers of breaking up with her and, thus, leaving her "protection". Catherine also makes suicidal threats to Vincent about how she'd "die" if he cheated on her. She has a tendency to give violent love bites, which Vincent has to cover up with bandages to hide.
In addition, due to her succubus nature, Catherine may be a rapist and Vincent could be viewed as a rape victim. It can be argued that Vincent's first drunken hookup with Catherine was consensual, since they might have both been drunk at the time. However, Vincent can't remember it in the morning, or any of their other sexual encounters either. It is unknown if she ever actually had sex with Vincent during the events of the main story, and there are arguments both ways. However, the Immoral Beast, the fact that Catherine wakes up next to Vincent naked, and in Vincent's dream, she says to Katherine that "Vincent is a wild man in the sack" implies that they had sex. However, this only occurred in one of Vincent's dreams, although it can then be counter-argued that Vincent's reality would naturally affect his dreams and subconscious.
Catherine has a few hobbies, interests and quirks. Catherine tells Vincent she has a sweet tooth (though the only food she is shown to order in the game is the summer squash pasta while at Chrono Rabbit), enjoys horror movies, and playing video games with her father. In the Rapunzel novelization, Catherine works as a video game developer, showing that she has a creative side. Despite being a demon, she seems to fear ants.
No details are given about her origin, other than that she is a succubus from the "Underworld" (spirit realm) who is able to change her form to suit the ideal woman of a man, though she does have an antagonistic relationship with her overprotective father, Nergal, who is the Lord of the "Underworld". It is unknown how much power she has as to her position in the demonic hierarchy.
She is focusing on Vincent's city for her marks because of her casual "employment" with Boss. Her appearance as an ideal woman to other men is completely different than when she appears to Vincent. Catherine has successfully targeted and seduced Vincent Brooks, Steve Delhomme, Orlando Haddick, Archie Wallace, Morgan Cortez, Daniel Kirsch, Justin Bailey and Freddie McGoohan.
Catherine is a major character in Catherine: The Mysterious Tale of Rapunzel, in which she appears to be a new video game developer. She has various interactions with Freddie and is a wall in his relationship with Stella Simmons.
She has also once appeared to Jonny at an aquarium and tried to seduce him, taking a physical form similar to Katherine (Jonny has feelings for Katherine), and the feelings in Jonny's heart were enough to send him into the nightmares, even after he rejected her. Jonny is Catherine's only known failed target who has successfully resisted her.
Catherine first appears at the Stray Sheep after Vincent's friends have gone home. She entices him with her refreshing mindset of freedom and an aversion to commitment, matching her personality and looks to be exactly what he's looking for. She goes home with him that night.
On Day 2, she wakes up next to him in bed and, after a brief talk, runs off for an urgent "dentist appointment" (with Steve). She meets him again at the Stray Sheep that same night and, again, wakes up with him, this time, telling him her name. Their affair continues.
It is heavily implied that she breaks up with Steve on Day 3 to spend more time with Vincent. Steve appears in a more frantic and paranoid state on 4-1 trying to find "her" again. The following day, he's able to track Vincent down and threatens him, desperate to get Catherine back. This makes it clear that Catherine broke up with Steve by telling him that she was seeing Vincent.
Vincent confronts Catherine about the phone call he received from Steve Delhomme, demanding that they stop seeing each other, as Steve is Catherine's boyfriend. She denies this, saying he has the wrong Catherine.
A couple days afterwards, Vincent calls her to the Stray Sheep and breaks up with her. Though initially hurt and upset, after he follows her into the bathroom, she takes her anger and sadness out on him physically by beating him. He won't relent and ends up completely breaking things off, despite her protests.
Catherine appears shortly after that in Vincent's apartment, as he is welcoming Katherine in. After a heated exchange of insults between the two women in which Katherine angrily calls Catherine a pig, a bitch, and a whore and Catherine calmly calls Katherine extra-baggage, an old-granny, and pathetic and futile attempts of trying to order each other out of Vincent's room, Katherine, due to Vincent's betrayal and Catherine's constant insults of her worthlessness to Vincent and Catherine's superiority to Katherine, snaps with despair and moves over the kitchen sink searching for a kitchen knife while still facing Vincent and Catherine but to no avail as Catherine predicted this and took the knife in advance.
Vincent attempts to calm down Katherine by telling her that he had already called off his affair with Catherine, causing Catherine to snap with rage and jealousy and Catherine blames Katherine for Vincent's confusion. Catherine claims that if Katherine went away, Vincent could finally be free and attempts to kill Katherine with the kitchen knife. Vincent tries to defend Katherine and is cut non-fatally in his right lower rib cage. As Katherine dashes over the coffee table to escape, Catherine grabs Katherine's hair, shoves her to the floor and a struggle begins. Catherine ends up impaling her abdomen while seemingly having the upper-hand on Katherine while they are both on the ground; this is the last time she's seen normally in the game (except in her endings), though she briefly returns as the 8th boss of Vincent's nightmares.
Catherine is a boss in the one and only level of The Cathedral. She takes the form of a giant nude demonic version of herself with her skin peeling off; most especially on her left arm. Her mouth is exaggeratedly large, showing rows of sharp fangs. Her hair is identical to her human form. During the climb, Catherine constantly insults Katherine; she asks her "You can only get his attention by getting pregnant?" and says "You're just his dead weight!". At the same time, she tries to convince Vincent to forget Katherine.
Later on, Boss explains her existence as a succubus; that he employed her to help with The Great Trials. He explains that normal people cannot normally see her and reassures Vincent that he will never see her again.
- Catherine True: Vincent forces Boss to summon Catherine to the Stray Sheep. Vincent confesses his love to her, explaining that he is now "free" from the "herd" of society, and makes his proposal to marry her. Catherine is confused by the proposal informing him of the problems of he, a human male, having her, a succubus, as a bride entail ("The whole 'kid' thing would have to be off the table... And I mean, and I mean everything I did to you, I might do to other guys..."), but Vincent merely suggests that they try taking one day at a time to which she asks if he's okay with that. However, his answer is cut short by the appearance of Nergal: Catherine's father and lord of the Underworld. Nergal states the a mere human asking to wed his daughter is utterly absurd. Catherine tells her father to leave because she is having an important conversion. Vincent asks for no more games and her true opinion of him, to which Catherine blushes happily and her father asks is she embarrassed over a simple human which angers Catherine further and causes her to groin kick him and tell him to "shut up" to silence his griping and interrupting. Catherine then confesses that she does, in human terms, like Vincent and she admits that she was supposed to be seducing other human male targets but choose instead to forsake her mission to spend her time with Vincent. Vincent asks Catherine to marry him which Catherine, with some hesitation and thought, accepts; they hug joyously while ignoring Catherine's father's objections to this.
- Several days later, Catherine and Vincent wake up in his room after a wild night. Vincent notices that Boss is lying in his bed. Catherine explains that he is there to stalk the two. She hugs Vincent, saying, "It's better when someone's watching...", and she pulls herself on top of him, and confesses that she really loves him. It is revealed his apartment is now in the Underworld.
- Many weeks after the conclusion of the game, Vincent has been transformed in some kind of supernatural entity. Catherine verbally expresses considering skipping out on her work that day to which Vincent questions her shirking her duties and Catherine replies with "Oh come on... It's not like there are any men out there hotter than you [Vincent]". He is also, according to his harem of succubi, such an excellent male specimen that many of them forego their duties just so they can be around him. Catherine exclaims that everyone acknowledges Vincent's power now, then taps her father for agreement. As a heartfelt and passionate kiss is sharded between Vincent and Catherine, Nergal shrugs in disgust at the sight to which Catherine, somewhat disappointed that her father hasn't accepted the situation (particularly, her love for her new husband), simply replies with "Oh, Daddy. Stop being difficult, just give up already."
- Catherine Good: Basically the same as the True Ending, except missing the final scene where Vincent has been transformed.
- Catherine Bad: Vincent forces Boss to summon Catherine to the Stray Sheep. Catherine arrives, somewhat puzzled that Vincent wants to see her again. He explains his feelings and begs her to marry him, stating he will be willing to give up his humanity and everything in order to live with her. She is shocked and disturbed at his advances, explaining that it can never work out because she feels that he is not daring enough to be with someone of her nature, along with their biological differences. Before leaving, she tells him if they meet again, she'll consider his proposal. After Catherine leaves, Vincent reasons that she is still outside. He tries to chase her, only to be hit by a car. He stumbles back in the bar, asking someone to call 911.
Catherine: Full Body
Catherine will have a new separate story branch in Full Body.
Catherine is seen going full yandere with an axe in a trailer.
In the Japanese version of the game, it is possible for the player to select 1 of 11 possible voices for her.
- "Hey, Vincent! If you get this, let me know, k? If you do, I'll send you a picture! You know you wanna see it!"
- "YAY! Thanks for writing back! ♥ Be sure to save my address, k? I'm saving yours! v(^_^)v Here's the reward I promised. Don't show it to anyone else!"
- "Hey! ♡ How are you doing? ♥ Are you still at work? Are you done yet?"
- "Okies. KK. I understand! ♡ Hehehe! (^3^) Mwah! Oh, I took a new picture. Here!"
- "Oh... That's a shame... (;_;) K, I'll hold it in for now. But you're such a good guy! Work is important! Work hard! I'm proud of you! ♥"
- "Show & Tell!!! ♥♥ Hi Vincent!♡ I'm sending you a special picture! ♥ Try not to act surprised if you're opening it at work or something. Just thinking of your reaction when you see this is making me laugh!"
- "Heyyyy How's it going, Vincent? ♥ What are you doing right now?"
- "You meanie! Why are you blowing me off!? I only wanted to see you... Can I call you, then? Calling's okay, right?"
- "You're so boring! ( ` ロ ' )/"
- "Some good medicine! Here's something that'll make you feel better! ♡ Well? Is it working? (^_~) Oh, sorry for sending that last one while you were at work. I hope I didn't get you in any trouble... ♥ Anyway, take care! ♥"
- "I'm wondering... Hey... Is it true that you have a tummyache? You're not lying to me... or hiding anything from me... Are you?"
- "Oh... I just want to be with you, Vincent. That's all... But you say these things that don't make any sense to me... It worries me. Do you think I'M the bad guy here?"
- "I'm so excited!♡♡♡ I hope you're working hard! I love when you talk about your job. ♡ Oooooh! It's our first *real* date tomorrow! I'm soooooooooooo excited!♥♥♥ ( >▽<)/ Let's do something else after we go to the movies!"
- "Men aren't the only ones who fear being chained down. Thank goodness. We think alike."
- "You must like what you see... You're a bad liar..."
- "Listen... I don't want you to get the wrong idea, okay? I don't just sleep around. I came here because I like you. So... How do you feel about me...?"
- "So then, it was love at first sight?"
- "You're so kinky..."
- "Hey... What's this long hair? ...It's not from another girl, is it, Vincent? You know, because if it is... I'm going to die right here."
- "Then, I'll kill you. I die... or I kill you... Which would be better? Fine. I'll give you... five seconds! If you don't answer me, I'll kill you! One.. Two... Threeeeee... Fouuuuur... Fiiiiiive..."
- "Is that the truth? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Okay! I trust you!"
- "I'm not going to ask you about the past. It doesn't matter. But from now on... If you ever cheat on me... I'll be angry."
- "Vincent, honey, you're not really gonna try and play dumb now, are you? After all you've done to my body... Night after night... If you work hard enough to get something, you'll get it. Don't you think that's true? Well, he worked me hard, and now he's got me, simple as that. Plus... I'm sure you have nooo idea of this even, but this one's a wild man in the sack. Hehe... I don't think you can satisfy him anymore..."
- "Listen, honey, Vincent here only needs one thing in this world, alright? And it's sitting right next to him. Now take a hint and get out of here." (to Katherine)
- "Careful, if you keep making faces like that and you'll start getting wrinkles, you old granny." (to Katherine)
- "Hey, stop it! I don't give a rat's ass if you forgive him. The two of us are happy together! Look at how much you're bothering us. Why don't you go home, you old whore?! Do you even have a baby in that ice cave? That's just a lie, isn't it!? How desperate are you?! You're soooo pathetic!" (to Katherine)
- "It's because of YOU that Vincent's so confused right now! If you'd just go away, he could finally be FREE!" (to Katherine)
- "DON'T YOU RUN AWAY FROM ME!" (to Katherine)
The Trivia for Tonight.....
- Catherine's boss forms are the Immoral Beast and "Catherine".
- Catherine is written as キャサリン (Kyasarin) in Japanese for both Catherine and Katherine. This leads to a lot more ambiguous references in the Japanese game, as the player must rely on context to determine which C/Katherine is being talked about. In a few instances in the English version, the vagueness of which one Vincent is talking about is so important that the localization team altered the subtitles to read as "her" when he actually speaks her name, leaving the player intentionally confused.
- Catherine ordering pasta at the Chrono Rabbit is inconsistent with the story. It is crucially implied that only Vincent and Boss can see her, although it is implied the waiter/waitress at Chrono Rabbit can also see and hear her. Given the player doesn't hear the waiter/waitress speak, it's possible Catherine was just pretending to talk with someone just so Vincent would hear her and run away from Katherine.
- Her e-mail through which Vincent texts her is "CoquettishCat@kriosphone...", where coquettish is a reference to her flirtatious personality and "Cat" is a shortening of her name. "kriosphone" seems to be a combination of "krios" and "phone". "Krios" is a probable reference to Crius, a figure in Greek mythology. "Krios" is also the ancient Greek word for "ram" (male sheep), which play a role in Catherine. "Kriosphone" could be viewed as a joke, since it is likely it is the e-mail service used for succubi to connect to their victims.
- Atlus created Catherine pillowcases for pre-orders of the game, allowing fans to sleep with Catherine every night.
- As mentioned in Vincent's trivia, Catherine represents the blonde, young woman in which a man must choose between her, or a black haired and mature looking woman in one of the Lovers Arcana tales. Catherine represents physical desire.
- Katherine and Catherine share the same English voice actors with Yukari Takeba (Michelle Ruff voices Katherine and Yukari) and Rise Kujikawa (Laura Bailey voices Catherine and Rise), the characters who represent the Lovers Arcana (as Lovers Social Links and dating interests) in Persona 3 and Persona 4, respectively. Both games are related to Catherine.
- Lisa Silverman from Persona 2 and Ann Takamaki of Persona 5 are also of the Lovers Arcana, and have blonde hair and blue eyes.
- In the Catherine True Ending she is shown in her demonic form, with the same face as she had previously, meaning that either that is her true face or she decided to stay that way just for Vincent. The same can be said of Vincent, who looks similar to his mortal form.
- Catherine confirmed in the Catherine Good Ending and Catherine True Ending that she is unable to bear children with a human male, though it is unclear if this is still true when Vincent becomes a demon himself, and the fact that she has a 'father' seems to indicate demons can in fact reproduce (of course it's possible she and Nergal aren't blood-relatives).
- Catherine: The Novel features a new ending where Vincent marries Catherine.
- In Persona 4 Arena, the protagonist has a poster of Catherine in his room.
- Ann Takamaki of Persona 5 can dress as Catherine. Also in Persona 5, Futaba Sakura has a figure of Catherine on a stool.
- According to the Venus Mode Art Book, the design of Catherine's outfit and makeup are based, in part, on Christina Ricci's character in the movie Buffalo '66. Likewise Vincent's design is based, in part, on Vincent Gallo, the director and co-star of Buffalo '66.
- The large red ribbon with a bow around Catherine's waist may be a reference to Birdo from Nintendo's Mario series who wears a similar large red bow. In Japan, Birdo is known as Catherine. Both characters are depicted as being flirty. Birdo is also transgender which may be inspired transgender themes in Catherine (i.e. Erica Anderson). The developers of Catherine seemed fond of Nintendo as Catherine wears a heart shirt which is a probable reference to Nintendo's Zelda series.
Catherine: Full Body
Monster boss form
|Vincent · Katherine · Catherine · Rin · Orlando · Jonny · Toby · Erica · Boss · Trisha · Steve|
|Justin · Todd · Archie · Daniel · Morgan · Anna · Lindsay and Martha · Paul · The Couple · Feather|